Saturday, October 11, 2008

aLL aBoUt ChRisTMaS!


....Christmas is just around the corner. Everyone starts to prepare by buying gifts, fixing decorations, playing Christmas carols and putting the spirit into their homes. Christmas is the most awaited time of the year. It is the only season that gives each person hope, peace and more love.

Every year, I always get excited whenever I hear Christmas songs and see the Christmas tree being set up. When I was a child, I dreamt of having a big and tall christmas tree in our house since we cannot afford to have one. Life is so hard that we can only afford to buy christmas lights and some paper decors with the MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR message. During Noche Buena, we do not have much on our table. A kilo of spaghetti or pancit and a few sticks of bbq is what we can only afford. However, all of us (together with my three siblings) are gathered on our dining table eating happily and exchanging stories. Those were the days. We were still young and worry free.

Now, everything is different. We do have our own lives and families. My parents live far from us, my sister has her own house, my brother is outside the country and me, living with my husband and in laws. We cannot eat together anymore during Noche Buena since we either work or stay at our own home. That is one of the sad part of the season. When I got married, alot of things changed. Though I always visit my parents at Christmas day, still it's different. Gone were the days when we were young, worry free and live life as it is and just dependent on our parents. Right now, we have to make our own living and take care of our own needs.

Anyway, have you ever wondered why people can spend generously during Christmas season? I noticed that once the 13th month pay comes, people start to go shopping for gifts. We also spend much on food and we are not that concerned on how it will cost us. If we are like this the whole year round, I can say that life is extravagant and no one is considered poor. But, on the other side there are people who can't barely eat three meals a day. They are the ones who sleep at carts and under bridges. Imagine ten persons sleeping in a small cart during a cold or rainy night. How I pity these people but how can they have many kids with their economic status? But since it's Christmas season, alot of generous individuals prefer to help these people. A bag of groceries will bring them a long way. Old clothes, toys and books are also being offered by rich kids.

In addition, outreach programs are being held often in every part of the country. I just hope that this is done all year round. I still believe in the kindness of people though.

By the way, I have a question for you. Have you recently thought of the good deeds you have done during Christmas season? Since blessings is abundant, do we share it to others if given the opportunity?What have we done so far that makes a big difference to others who are in great need?

Helping others should not be done only during Christmas season however, for all of us this is the most appropriate time. So, I am appealing to all that we take advantage of this time to share what we have and feel the spirit.

Advance Merry Christmas to all!



No comments: